Sunday 18 May 2014

Cured Salmon (Lox)

Salmon sashimi is one of those delicacies that I enjoy every time I get the chance. I'd be more than happy to make this at home but the problem boils down to the lack of supply of the freshest sushi grade salmon. I know that you cant just use any old shop bought salmon. Eating this raw could be dangerous. I have searched high and low and spent countless wasted hours on the internet looking for a source. The only way I can find to get this fish is a 4am trip to London's outstanding Billingsgate market. You also have to buy this in bulk which for us mere end consumers is not really feasible. I also believe that some suppliers have already frozen the fish to remove possible parasites so it needs to be eaten within a few days. Smoked salmon is a good alternative but the smoke really does over power the delicate flavour.

Then I discovered Lox. Lox is salmon that has been cured or brined. This process 'cooks' the fish making it safe to eat and it's the closest I've found to sashimi. Yes, it's not as soft, delicate and tender but it is easy to make and most of all easy to source and cheap.  Although you should use fishmonger fresh fish, you don't have to. Below is my recipe for lox using shop bought packet salmon.

Lox

Ingredients:

1 Packet of salmon fillets
200g Sugar
200g Table salt
2g Fresh Dill

Method:

Wash and pat dry the pieces of fish and place skin side down on a baking tray or in a plastic container.

Mix the salt, sugar and dill together and pour over the salmon forming mounds and making sure the fish is completely covered. Place this into the fridge overnight.


 The next day, remove the now hard mixture and wash all the excess off the fish. At this stage, the outside of the lox will be very firm. The heading picture above was taken at this stage. Personally I like the outside 'skin' but it can be removed if you wish. Slice thinly ensuring you do not include the skin. Serve on its own or as part of a dish. Delish!

Here is lox sitting on my continental potato salad with a lemon oil and coriander and lemon grass sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment