Saturday 17 May 2014

Continental Potato Salad

My nan used to live in Holland. When I went to visit I used to relish the different food types I'd see and try. I'd peruse the aisles of the supermarkets in awe trying to figure out what was in each packet as I couldn't understand the ingredients. I picked up a small pre-made salad pot with a white plastic spoon on top. It looked a little like a yogurt. To my surprise, it was potato!

Continental Potato Salad 

300g White Potatoes (Maris Piper)
50g Mayo (I prefer Heinz or Hellmans)
5g Salad Cream (I prefer Heinz)
50g White Onion
50g gherkin
3g Salt (I prefer Maldon Sea Salt)
Teaspoon of Schwartz Mixed Herbs*

Optional: 75g ham/gammon

Makes enough for a side dish for 4 people. If making for more double the quantities.

Method:

Peel the potatoes and dice them to the size of a... dice! (I know it's die singular but it doesn't have the same ring to it). Wash and drain. Place them into a saucepan along with the salt. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 20 minutes until the potato is soft and a knife slides in easy. This potato salad needs them to be soft as the edges form a mash that thickens the salad. No hard chunks in this one!

 
Whilst the potatoes are cooking cut the onion and gherkins into a fine dice. The pork/gammon too if you are using it. Once all the ingredients are ready it really is a simply as adding this all to a bowl and mixing thoroughly. Cover and chill in the fridge.

Take a look at my Lox Recipe, here the potatoe salads act as a refreshing base.


*This is a non negotiable brand. See Brand Notice

No comments:

Post a Comment